My friend Anna recommended this recipe to me- she declared it a "MAJOR hit" and mentioned that "for some reason dudes REALLY like it." Sold. I had never cooked with spaghetti squash, but had only heard good things! Well, it lived up to Anna's hype and then some. Honestly, I could not get over how good it was. A day later, I am STILL not over it. I made some minor tweaks to the paleo version- I added a cup of shredded skim mozzarella and a little parmesan cheese on top. It's super healthy (coming in at about 50% squash), flavorful (hi sweet pizza sauce), and filling (sausage = protein). Boys, you're invited for dinner... if I don't eat it all first.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 lb italian sausage
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 salt
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup skim mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Once squash is done cooking, remove threads and place in an 8×8 greased baking dish.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add italian sausage and onion. Cook until pink no longer remains in the sausage and it is broken up into pieces.
- Add pizza sauce, dried basil and salt and pepper to the pan and mix well.
- Add sausage mixture to the 8×8 dish and mix well with spaghetti squash threads.
- Lastly, add whisked eggs to the baking dish and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs. Sprinkles cheese on top.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour or until the top of the mixture forms a slight crust that doesn’t give when you press on it in the middle of the dish.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.