Growing up, I thought pistachios were my mom's side of the family's secret snack- ever present at July 4th, Thanksgiving and Christmas, we would go through bags and bags and bags. No one else I knew seemed to eat them! Now pistachios are having moment- even the Winklevoss twins love them. ;) This pesto is the perfect salty and garlicky combination- a delicious addition to chicken, burgers, or wraps all week long.
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, torn
- 8 basil leaves, torn
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/3 cup of freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1/3 cup good olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 bag fresh arugula
- Wash and season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and lemon juice. Once hot, add chicken and cook until cooked through, about 6 minutes each.
- While the chicken is cooking, add pistachios, parsley, garlic and cheese to a food processor. Pulse and blend until the nuts are coarsely chopped.
- Feel free to add more olive oil if you want your pesto to be more spreadable.
- Finish by adding in salt and blending once more.
- Remove chicken from heat and spread a thin layer of pesto on top of each breast.
- Serve on a bed of arugula, finish with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, and enjoy!