This is one of all my all-time favorite recipes from my good friend, Alissa. She is an amazing cook and knows the best healthy short cuts, especially when it comes to Italian food. I am always begging her add to her site, The Healthy Way to Love Food, which is just as quirky and cute as she is. (Her recipe for Truffula Fries is a must see, not only because it is delicious, but it also "reads like a song to Dr. Seuss." I also plan on making "Phatty Cupcakes" this weekend.)
But back to this recipe- it's nutritious, hearty, and filling. It satisfies my Italian tooth- red sauce and all- without all the butter and heavy pasta. :)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup of quinoa (any type)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 2 broccoli crowns
- 2 tomatos
- 1 eggplant
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of tomato sauce (or if you're like me, a little bit more)
- Bring quinoa, water, and chicken stock to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, mince garlic and cut up veggies.
- Sauté the fresh veggies and garlic in good olive oil on medium heat in large frying pan.
- Add spices and adjust to taste.
- Once cooked, add red sauce to medley.
- Serve immediately over warm quinoa.